My second informative blog post is going to be about creation of a logo using open source tools, namely Inkscape.
So, about 2 weeks after the beginning of my internship I was approached by guys from Brno Red Hat office, who needed help in developing a logo for their Taskotron project. Taskotron is a framework for automated task execution. Logo design being my main speciality, I approached the project with all my experience 😉
First of, I prepared a simple questionnaire about the logo and met with Josef and Jan to define the problem facing me and interview them. They told me that it was a framework for task/test automation, which would be used mainly by developers and package maintainers. Considering the logo itself the words used to describe it were “all-embracing, boundless, composite, helpful and high tech – low life”. It was going to be something minimalistic and possibly fun as opposed to corporate.
I myself, hearing the word “tron” and high-tech, immediately thought of the movie TRON: Legacy 😉 And here’s a little inspirational board I had to start with:
Having all that in mind, I started creating sketches. There were several ideas I worked with:
- combination of letters TT;
- a protective animal (elephant);
- the idea of a package being checked (literally 🙂 );
- boundless and composite material.
From here we selected 4 and of those I created vector versions with Inkscape.
Guys thought about those for a while and chose the upper right one as being clever,
and it will look good even as a small favicon etc. Also it made the most sense: in the description of Taskotron you are most likely to encounter the words “package” and “check”.
The next step was choosing a font and working on colors. For the font they preferred something more futuristic, rather than neutral. I used Fonsquirrel to look for something cool, as they always have a lot of free and beautiful fonts. So we chose #1 and #5 to work on. I further refined the letters and made them more neat and consistent, and corrected the kerning.
As for the colors, we agreed on some desaturated ones, possibly grey-green steel, aged copper or ash-gray.
After a brief discussion, we chose the best version of the font, and I prepared a palette to be used online and several versions of the logo. Here’s the final picture:
Can’t wait to see the logo in action!